Are you planning to keep a pepper spray in your bag but are confused with the options available online?
Keeping a pepper spray in your bag can be very reassuring as the number of crimes against women are increasing day by day and these pepper sprays also help to keep attacking animals away in case of any emergency scenario.
While there are a lot of options available in the market when it comes to buying pepper sprays online, only a few of these models actually work when you are facing an emergency. We have compiled a list of ten best pepper sprays which are great for self-defense:
Editor Pick Best Pepper Sprays
Table could not be displayed.
Fox Labs 5.3 SHU Pepper Spray
Made using the same formula that is used by U.S. Military, the Fox Labs pepper spray is compact and contains 8-10 sprays. The nozzle is designed to disperse a cone fog pattern which creates maximum impact. The size of the spray bottle is perfect for keeping inside your purse or pocket. The spray button has a safety cover to avoid any accidental spray which is great as some pepper sprays get accidentally sprayed and can cause permanent damage. The black spray bottle is quite handy and lightweight also. The price of the spray is a bit high but it is really potent and can help you to fend off an attacker easily with even one spray.PROS:
- The spray bottle is compact and fits well in any purse or bag.
- The spray comes with a finger guard to prevent any unintentional sprays.
- The formula used in the pepper spray is the same as used by the U.S. Military.
- The potency of the formula can fend off attackers as well as animals trying to attack you.
- The price of the pepper spray is a bit high as compared to the quantity.
- The potency of the spray is lost if you get an older product.
What we like about it:This pepper spray by Fox Labs is not only very potent but it is also easy to carry and quite handy. It has a unique design which disperses a cone fog pattern and fends off the attacker instantly. The price is a bit high but the potency of the formula makes it worth the high price.
Sabre 3-IN-1 Pepper Spray
If you are looking for an affordable pepper spray, the Sabre 3-in-1 pepper spray is a good option to consider as it is quite potent and has a lot of product. The spray nozzle has an impressive range of 10 feet and the bottle contains 35 sprays. You can clip the spray bottle on your belt or purse or keep it in your bag as the bottle is quite compact. The pepper spray comes with an instructional video also to help the users understand the spray mechanism. The price of the spray is quite affordable and it is one of the cheapest pepper sprays available in the market.PROS:
- The pepper spray contains 35 sprays equivalent of product and has a good range.
- It comes with a safety cover to prevent unintentional sprays.
- The bottle comes with a clip on the side to keep it within reach.
- The price of the spray is quite affordable as compared to other products.
- The spray nozzle needs to be pressed very tightly to release the product.
- The safety latch is not fitted well so it can cause accidental sprays.
What we like about it:This is an affordable pepper spray and contains a lot of product for a reasonable price. It has a good range and comes with a safety latch to protect the user from self-spraying accidentally.
Police Magnum OC Pepper Spray
Available in a pack of 2 and 4 sprays, the Police Magnum OC spray comes with a keychain for ease of use. The spray is non-toxic and non-flammable but can cause significant damage if sprayed directly. The spray bottle comes with a safety top for protection and contains UV dye to help identify the attacker easily. The shelf life of the spray is four years and the range of the bottle is up to 8 feet. The quantity is a little less as you get only 2-3 sprays per bottle. The size of the keychain bottle is quite compact so it does not occupy a lot of space. The price of the spray is reasonable as you get a pack of two canisters for use.PROS:
- The small keychain canister comes quite handy in case of emergencies.
- The pepper spray is quite strong and contains UV dye to mark the attacker.
- The shelf life of the product is good and you can use it for four years.
- The price of the spray is reasonable.
- One canister only contains 2-3 sprays which might not be enough for self-defense in case of an attack.
- The pressure in the canister decreases gradually if stored for long.
What we like about it:The keychain-style pepper spray is quite handy and lightweight and comes in a pack of two. The number of sprays you get is less but the pressure and the range is good for the price.
SABRE RED Pepper Gel Spray
Another popular pepper spray from Sabre, the red pepper gel spray is available in two color options and has a shelf life of four years. The nozzle of the spray bottle has a range of 12 feet and disperses spray directly on the attacker by preventing wind blow attack. The bottle contains 35 sprays and comes with an adjustable hand strap to hold the bottle effectively. The potency of the spray is quite high so you need to use it carefully. Each bottle comes with a few safety tips and directions on how to use the product safely. The price of the spray is moderate as compared to other pepper sprays available in the market.PROS:
- The product has a good shelf life and comes with a hand harness to hold the bottle efficiently.
- The bottle contains 35 sprays and has a range of 12 feet.
- The spray is very potent and can be used to deter attacking animals also.
- Each product comes with its safety instructions and a how-to-use video.
- The product leaks over your hand if you do not press the trigger hard enough.
- The hand harness is a bit cumbersome to hold and has to be practiced with before actual use.
What we like about it:The Sabre Red Pepper gel spray is a potent spray which comes with a hand harness to hold the bottle when running outdoors. It is quite easy to use and hits the attacker directly. The safety tips included with the product help you understand its use correctly.
Freeze +P Pepper Spray
This flip-top pepper spray from Freeze+P contains a potent compound of two types of peppers and also contains an ultraviolet dye to mark the attackers. Each bottle contains 4-5 sprays of 2 second bursts. The formula is highly potent and can deter even the most ruthless attackers. It irritates the eyes and stops the attacker instantly. The container is a bit fragile and should be handled carefully to avoid any accidental sprays inside your bag. This spray is also used by the defense services and many police departments because of its lethal formula. The price of the spray is high as compared to other pepper sprays but its potent formula is way stronger than any other formula.PROS:
- The formula of the spray is quite potent and lethal so it can defend you from the most serious of attackers.
- The spray bottle is compact enough to fit any small space.
- The formula contains ultraviolet dye to mark the attacker for identification.
- The pressure of the spray is good and it hits the target directly.
- The container is a bit fragile so it has to be handled carefully.
- The price of the spray is a high as compared to other sprays available in the market.
What we like about it:This pepper spray is very potent and is used by many defense agencies to fend off attackers. It is a bit expensive but contains enough formula to spray 2-3 bursts of 1-2 seconds each.
BLINGSTING Cute and Quick Access Self Defense Police Strength Rhinestone Pepper Spray
With eight colors to choose from, this bejewelled pepper spray keychain contains 10% OC red pepper concentration and has an impressive range of 10 feet. The formula comes with a UV dye to mark the attacker and comes with a glow-in-the-dark actuator for ease of use. The spray bottle has a twist top to prevent accidental sprays and is quite portable and lightweight. The keychain design allows you to hang the spray from your purse or bag easily. The formula has a shelf life of 2 years and the bottle can deliver 7-8 bursts of 1 second each. The price of the spray is a little high and the design is quite attractive to keep in your purse.PROS:
- The spray comes with a bejewelled case and is quite compact.
- The twist top cap prevents accidental sprays inside the bag.
- The pressure range of the spray is 10 feet which is more than any other sprays.
- The number of sprays contained inside the bottle is good for the price.
- The bejewelled crystals on the spray keep falling off if not used carefully.
- The shelf life of the spray is a bit less than other sprays available in the market.
What we like about it:
This bling pepper spray is a great option for girls who prefer to hang it on their bag or purse. It looks like a keychain but is powerful enough to fend off attackers and stray animals. The pressure range is also good for the price.
iworldsafetech Pepper Spray
Containing 30 sprays and a pressure range of 14 feet, this sleek and classy pepper spray is pink in color and has an immediate effect when sprayed. It is also designed to reduce wind blowback and comes with a cap to prevent any accidents. Make sure that the cap is fitted tightly as it can come loose otherwise. The bottle is designed to fit the hand comfortably and sprays equally well from all angles. The formula is potent but not extremely strong so it is enough to decapitate the attacker for a while. The price of the pepper spray is high but the number of sprays you get is much more than any other pepper spray in the market.PROS:
- The size and design of the pepper spray are good enough to fit the hand properly.
- The number of sprays contained in the bottle are more than other pepper sprays.
- The pump has a pressure range of 14 feet and operates well at all angles.
- The pump is designed to reduce wind blowback.
- The price of this pepper spray is higher than most models.
- The formula is not very potent and only decapitates the attacker for a while.
What we like about it:This sleek pepper spray is a must-have if you need a spray with more number of sprays inside the bottle. It contains 30 sprays and has an impressive pressure range of 14 feet.
Guard Dog Security Pepper Spray Keychain
A pepper spray which comes with a leather holster, this spray from Guard Dog contains 18% red OC pepper and has a pressure range of 16 feet. The pump is designed to reduce wind blowback and the bottle has a capacity of 6 sprays of 1 second each. The formula is oil-based and is quite potent so you need to use it carefully. The twist top ensures safety and prevents accidental sprays. You can choose from a variety of color options in the leather holster. The product has a shelf life of three years. The price of the spray is quite affordable as you get a pack of three sprays at a reasonable price.PROS:
- The spray bottle comes with a leather holster and has many color options to choose from.
- The pump contains 6 sprays of one second each and a pressure range of 16 feet.
- The 18% OC pepper formula is potent and has an oil-based consistency.
- The leather holster can be clipped on to any bag or purse easily.
- The total quantity contained in the pump is suitable for only a 6 seconds stream.
- The snap on the leather holster does not close tightly and keeps opening.
What we like about it:This is an affordable pepper spray if you are looking for a spray with its own cover. The leather holster keeps the spray in place and can be clipped on to any bag easily. The quantity is a bit less but the potency of the formula is good.
Wrist Saver Pepper Spray
A pepper spray designed especially for runners, this spray can be worn on the wrist and is available in three color options. It is fitted on a neoprene wristband which is lightweight and very comfortable on the wrist. The wristband also has space for keeping an ID card and some money for emergencies. The spray bottle comes with an LED light to see in the dark and has a really potent formula. It has a pressure range of 10 feet and comes with a twist top cap for safety. The price of the pepper spray is moderate and its design makes it worth the price.PROS:
- The pepper spray comes with a neoprene wristband which can be worn by runners.
- The wristband also has space for keeping an ID card and some cash.
- The pressure range of the spray is good and the bottle comes with an LED light.
- The twist top cap prevents unintentional sprays towards the wearer.
- The price of the pepper spray is a little higher than other sprays.
- The quantity of the spray is less and you get only 1-2 sprays.
What we like about it:This wristband pepper spray is designed for athletes and is a very good investment to ward off attackers instantly. It has a potent formula and the LED light makes it easy to spray it in the dark.
Mace Brand Pocket Defense Spray
Available in three quantities to choose from, this pepper spray contains a 10% OC pepper formula and UV dye to mark the attacker. It comes with its own holder and contains 20 sprays of 2-3 seconds bursts each. The pump has a pressure range of 12 feet and is suitable for joggers and runners. The stream spray pattern prevents wind blowback and hits the target directly. The pump bottle comes with a side clip which can be used to attach the pump to a purse or the waistband. The price of the spray is reasonable as compared to its quantity.PROS:
- The pump comes with a side clip to attach it to your purse or pants.
- The formula is quite potent and the stream spray pattern ensures a direct hit.
- The UV dye makes it easier to identify the attacker after an attack.
- The quantity is good as you get 20 sprays of 2-3 seconds bursts each.
- The side clip is not very sturdy so the spray can fall if you are not careful.
- It is a little heavier than other pepper sprays available in the market.
What we like about it:This pepper spray is one of the few models which offer various options in terms of quantity. It fits well in the hand and can be attached to your belt using the side clip. The formula is also good for the price.
Check Video Review
Now that we have discussed the ten best pepper sprays available in the market, it is important for a buyer to know which factors to be considered when buying a pepper spray to ensure proper safety. Here are some of the factors that are important to consider when it comes to purchasing a pepper spray for self-defense:
The quantity of the spray bottle should be enough to contain 3-4 sprays of 2-33 seconds bursts each as some attackers need more than one spray to back off. The more sprays the bottle contains, the easier it is to fend off the attacker.
- Pressure range
Most pepper sprays have a pressure range of 10-12 feet but some models come with a 16-feet pressure range which can hit the attacker easily. Look for pumps which have a higher pressure range to deliver a constant stream of pepper.
- Ease of use
The product should be designed in such a way that it fits the hand easily and requires some moderate pressure to release the spray into the air. Make sure that the spray you are planning to purchase is lightweight and fits into your pocket or bag easily.
This is one of the most important factors to consider in any pepper spray. The spray should be potent enough to decapitate the attacker instantly otherwise it will not solve the purpose.
Since pepper sprays are meant for the purpose of self-defense, the price does not matter much but it is better to go for a quality spray rather than a cheap one which might not work correctly at the right time. Most pepper sprays cost anywhere between 9$ – 25$ depending on their quantity.
So this was our detailed guide on the ten best pepper sprays available in the market which you can use for self-defense. These sprays are quite potent and are easy to carry as they do not take a lot of space. This detailed buyer guide will help you find the right spray in your budget.
Have you used a pepper spray? Which one is your favorite?