Are hot rollers making a comeback for getting natural bouncy hair?
Using hot hair rollers to get natural curls and waves has been the favorite method of getting professional results at home. These rollers use heat and moisture to shape your hair in loose curls, bouncy waves, rings, tight curls etc. They are available in all sizes for suiting different requirements and do not require a lot of time or efforts. Using hot rollers to get great hairstyles at home is pretty easy and this is why we have compiled a list of ten best hot rollers available in the market which protect your hair and give you great results:
Editor Pick Best Hot Rollers
Table could not be displayed.
Conair Xtreme Instant Heat Jumbo and Super Jumbo Hot Rollers
This roller set contains 12 ceramic rollers out of which four are jumbo-sized (1 ¾ inches and eight smaller rollers (1 ½ inches). The set comes in a compact box and includes super clips which hold the rollers in place effectively. The rollers heat up quickly to help you save time. The rollers work perfectly for medium and long hair and give long-lasting results. It gives a nice volume to the hair without making them feel rough or frizzy. This model is available in two versions. One model is without the super clips and one comes with bonus super clips. The price of these hot rollers is an added advantage and they are a good option for people on a tight budget.PROS:
- Ceramic infused rollers protect the hair and give them even heat.
- Price is less.
- Two sizes make it easy to curl different types and length of hair.
- The clips hold the hair in place easily.
- It is not that great for fine or thin hair as the size of the rollers is very large.
- It heats up the rollers very quickly.
What we like about it: This set of rollers is good for creating big bouncy waves for medium and long hair. The price is great for the quality this offers.
Remington H5600D 20-Piece Multi-Sized Roller Set
With three sizes of rollers in this set, it is a great piece to own if you want different hair styles every other day. It contains twenty rollers of 1 ¼ inch, 1 inch and ¾ inch. The rollers are made up of ceramic and have wax cores which heat the hair evenly and retain the heat for longer periods. All the rollers have cool-touch ends which prevent any skin injuries when you use them. The set comes with color-coded clips which are to be used with separate sizes. Another good thing about these rollers is that all of them have a dot at the end which changes its color when the roller is ready. The price of these rollers is a lot less than other models available.PROS:
- 20 ceramic rollers with three different sizes make it easy to style different hair types.
- The price is very less.
- The cool touch technology prevents skin burns
- The wax cores and the dot retain heat for longer and let you know when the rollers are ready.
- The bigger roller might not be of any use for people with fine hair.
- The availability of this set is an issue as it is mostly sold out.
What we like about it:The size options and the unique cool touch technology make these rollers perfect for everyday use. The price is also good.
Infiniti Pro by Conair Instant Heat Ceramic Flocked Rollers
Infused with argan oil, this roller set conditions the hair and protects it from damage. The set contains 20 ceramic rollers of three different sizes i.e. small, medium, and large. The device can be set at different temperatures with its 12 temperature settings. This makes it a great roller set for all types of hairstyles. The rollers heat quickly and make glossy and natural curls or waves. They come with a retractable cord which makes it easy to travel with this set. The curls last for the whole day and look very natural. The price of this set is a bit high as compared to other rollers but the argan oil makes it worth it as it controls frizz to a great extent.PROS:
- The rollers are infused with argan oil which is a great hair conditioner.
- The different sizes allow you to create all types of hairstyles easily.
- The adjustable temperature settings make it easy to control the heat.
- The set is travel-friendly.
- The number of small rollers in the set is not sufficient for fine long hair.
- The price is a bit high.
What we like about it:The unique feature of this roller set is the argan oil which controls frizz and gives a healthy shine to the hair.
BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Professional Jumbo Roller
With five sizes to choose from, these rollers are great for people who want to buy one specific size as per their hair type. The rollers are made with ceramic and nano-titanium using infrared and ionic technology. This protects the hair from heat and eliminates frizz. The rollers retain heat for longer periods and give long-lasting curls with their professional finish. The set includes butterfly clips and metal clips which help to hold the rollers in place. The color changing indicator lets you know when the rollers are ready to use. The price of the roller set is on the higher side but the professional results make it an ideal set to own for everyday hair styling.PROS:
- Great set for everyday use.
- Velvet rollers made with ceramic and titanium protect the hair from heat and control frizz.
- Color changing indicator makes it easy to check if the rollers are ready for use.
- The number of rollers is sufficient for all lengths of hair.
- The set contains only one size of rollers so if you want to create different hairstyles, you need to buy separate rollers.
- The curls of this roller do not hold well if not set with a good hair spray.
What we like about it:The rollers in this set are gentle on the hair and give natural healthy curls every day in just a few minutes with the advanced technology.
Caruso C97953 30 Molecular Steam Hairsetter with 30 Rollers
If you are looking for a roller set which contains all types of rollers in one case, this set is a good option to consider. It consists of 6 rollers of each size in five sizes to give you curls and waves of desired shape and size. The steam technology makes the rollers very gentle on the hair and creates long-lasting curls. The compact size also makes this set ideal for traveling. The foam of the rollers carries the steam to give you healthy voluminous waves without any heat-related damage. The moisture from the steam also hydrates your hair and makes them shine. The price of this set is less as compared to other models.PROS:
- Contains 30 rollers of all sizes to choose from.
- The steam curls the hair without any damage which comes from heat.
- The compact set is easy to carry around during traveling.
- The usage of this set is a bit different from the regular hot rollers so the first time can be difficult.
What we like about it:The size options in this set are perfect for all lengths and types of hair. The hair damage is also reduced with these rollers.
John Frieda Body & Shine Smooth Waves Rollers
This set of rollers contains eight jumbo rollers of 2 inches which are suitable for thick and long hair. It is also available in a set of five rollers for people who do not want 8 rollers. The set is made up of ionic technology with titanium and ceramic elements to evenly distribute the heat. The rollers are designed by experts to give you smooth and shiny hair with some added volume. The temperature of the rollers can be controlled using a temperature control feature. It comes with a storage pouch which can be used to keep the set when traveling. The price of the set is moderate.PROS:
- The rollers are designed to give smooth loose waves.
- The temperature control setting makes it easy to control the heat.
- The size of the rollers is perfect for long hair.
- The price is great and the set is good for traveling
- The size of the rollers makes it difficult to curl short hair or fine hair.
- You cannot achieve small curls with these rollers.
What we like about it:This set is ideal for styling long hair for getting big bouncy waves and the storage pouch makes it travel-friendly.
Calista Tools Ion Hot Rollers Short Style Set 12 Base
If you want a hot roller set which comes with an easy to use base, this set from Calista is good for everyday use. It contains 12 rollers in two sizes which heat up quickly in one go which saves a lot of time. The rollers are designed with a special technology in which the heating base not only heats the base of the rollers but also makes the heat run inside the rollers. This heats the hair evenly and takes lesser time to curl all the hair. It is one of the most time-saving roller sets available in the market.PROS:
- Fastest way to curl your hair without any damage.
- The rollers can be heated all together on the base and the two sizes suit all hair types.
- The unique technology heats the rollers from the inside to curl the hair evenly and quickly with long-lasting results.
- The price is moderate as compared to the quantity and quality of the product.
- The clips which come with the set do not hold the hair properly.
What we like about it:This roller set is great for all hair types and gives great long-lasting results. The set saves a lot of time and curls any length of hair within minutes. The price is also affordable.
T3 Micro Voluminous Hot Rollers Luxe Hair Roller
One of the classiest rollers sets available, this set contains 8 rollers and a base. The rollers are formulated with unique T3 heating technology which gives long-lasting results. The set also contains 8 crease-free clips which hold the rollers which are velvet-flocked for creating soft waves without any frizz. The adjustable heat setting comes with two options to choose from. The price of the rollers is very high but you can look online for deals available on this set. The rollers come with a carrying case which keeps them in one place and can be used while traveling.PROS:
- The design of the rollers is very classy and elegant.
- The charging base heats the rollers quickly and keeps them heated for longer periods.
- The heat can be adjusted to control the temperature of the rollers.
- The carrying case makes it easy to travel with this set.
- The price of this set is very high for the number of rollers it has.
- It is a bit difficult to remove the rollers from the tray with one hand.
What we like about it:The stylish design of this luxury roller set looks classy. The rollers are good for traveling and allow easy styling on the go with the unique heating technology.
Check Video Review
Remington H5670NA Professional Style Jumbo Curl Setter
A great option for people on a budget, this professional set of jumbo rollers makes it easy to get salon-like curls at home. It comes with 12 velvet rollers of two sizes with heat retention technology. The ionic technology controls frizz and the ceramic element keeps the hair smooth and shiny. The rollers come with cool touch ends which prevent skin burns while curling. The comfort pins and clips that come with the rollers make it easy to use the set. It has a 60 minutes auto-shut off feature for safety. The set comes in compact storage case.PROS:
- 12 rollers in two sizes make this set a great hair styling tool for long and medium hair.
- The price is very less and this is one of the cheapest roller sets available in the market.
- The wax core with ionic technology allows even curling of the hair without frizz.
- The storage case is stylish and compact.
- The jumbo rollers can be difficult to use on fine hair.
What we like about it:The price and quality of this set are very good for daily use and this roller set is an ideal option for hair styling within a budget.
Check Video Review
Conair Instant Heat Compact Hot Rollers
Another great set for a small price, this set from Conair has all the features you need in a good roller set at the fraction of the price of regular sets. It comes with 10 rollers in three different sizes (medium, large, and jumbo). The rollers come in soft zip pouch for easy storage and traveling. They heat up within a few seconds and are very easy to use. The set is very lightweight and easily fits into any bag for later use. The price is a great advantage as the quality is very good and the rollers perform their function with great efficiency.PROS:
- The diverse sizes offer hair styling options for all types of hair.
- The quality of the rollers is very good and they create natural curls.
- The price of this set is very less which makes it ideal for people looking for low-cost roller sets.
- The compact soft case is good for traveling.
- The rollers might not be able to work on thick hair as efficiently as other rollers.
What we like about it:If you are looking for cheap hair rollers without compromising on the quality, this set is a great option for getting gorgeous curls.
Check Video Review
Why should you use a set of hot rollers over curling irons and how can you use hot rollers without damaging your hair:
Investing in a set of good hot rollers can help you get beautiful curls easily every time at home and these rollers have many advantages over traditional curling irons as you do not have to use your hand all the time and hold the curling iron in place while you curl your hair. You can just roll up your hair with the rollers and wait for the rollers to cool down to unclip them. Using hot rollers makes it all the more easier for ladies with long or thick hair as they do not have to spend hours curling their hair as the rollers do the job while they can do their makeup or get ready. Another great advantage of using hot rollers is that they are easier to clean and do not take up a lot of space in your bag. They are also less likely to burn your hair like curling irons do and can be used for styling as frequently as you want. The shelf-life of hot rollers can be decades if used and maintained properly so it is definitely a good investment for people who like to change their hairstyles frequently and are looking for a safe heat styling tool.
It is very important to understand what kind of hot rollers work for your type of hair and how to use these hot rollers to minimize hair damage. Make sure that you protect your hair with a heat protectant before using hot rollers to prep your hair for the heat. Heat the rollers according to the type of hair you have and do not go overboard with the heat if you have very fine or fragile hair. Reading the user manual helps in understanding whether the rollers should be used on damp hair or dry hair.
People who like soft and subtle curls should go with hot rollers while people who like tighter curls can use curling irons to get the hairstyle of their choice. Hot rollers come in all sizes so you can easily find a set which works well for your hair length.
Q. How long should I leave the hot rollers in my hair?
A. Most hot roller brands advice leaving the hot rollers in the hair for about 10-20 minutes for achieving the desired results but the general rule of thumb is to take the rollers out once they get completely cooled. Velcro rollers take a little more time so they can be removed after 15-25 minutes. If you are using a wet set of rollers, allow your hair to dry completely before removing the rollers.
Q. Can hot rollers damage fine hair?
A. Fine hair is more susceptible to damage and breakage as it lacks the strength and using heat to style fine hair too often can result in hair damage. There are special hot rollers designed for fine hair by some brands which curl the hair without damaging them or making them more fragile. If you are using hot rollers for fine hair, make sure that you do not use excessive heat or leave the rollers in the hair for more time than required.
Q. Should I use hot rollers with dry hair or wet hair?
A. Most people tend to prefer using hot rollers when the hair is slightly damp so that the hairstyle dries into shape and gets set for a long time. This also comes with a risk that wet hair gets damaged more easily than dry hair so using hot rollers on very damp hair is not advised. However, some brands have come up with wet set rollers which are completely safe and suitable for using on wet hair. Using hot rollers on wet hair can lead to limp curls if not rolled properly so using them on dry hair is easier.
Q. Can hot rollers be left overnight in the hair?
A. No. It is not advisable to leave hot rollers in the hair for more than the advisable time as this can damage the hair in the long run and burn them. No-heat rollers can be left overnight in the hair but heated rollers should be used with caution.
Q. How can hot rollers be removed safely?
A. Removing hot rollers after they have done their work is pretty easy. You need to just unclip the rollers from the hair and gently uncurl the hair from the roller and remove it. Make sure that the hot rollers have cooled completely before you remove them. Tousle your hair gently with your fingers and separate the strands carefully to get beautiful curls.
Q. How do you clean hair rollers?
A. Hot rollers or any other type of hair rollers with Velcro should be clean regularly for hygienic reasons. You can clean your rollers by simply removing any hair stuck onto the roller and then washing the rollers with a gentle shampoo to clean it well. Plastic rollers, on the other hand, should be soaked in shampoo and water solution and then washed with vinegar to remove oil or dirt from the rollers.
Once you have seen the different types and sizes of rollers available in the market, use the following factors to select the right type of roller for your day to day use. These factors will determine if the hot rollers you want to buy are good for your hair and will give you the desired results:
- Hair Type & Length
Determine your hair style before buying hot rollers as thin and fragile hair need ceramic and ionic technology for protecting them from the heat. Use more rollers if you have long hair and vice versa. If you have thick hair, go for bigger rollers which can accommodate the hair in portions. For example, jumbo sized rollers which not work for thin or fine hair.
Buy rollers according to the type of results you want to achieve with them. If you want tight curls, go for small size and if you want big waves, buy the bigger size. Check the rollers to see if they curl the hair properly and give a natural look. Avoid products which take a long time for heating or have a cheap plastic smell.
The rollers should contain titanium and ceramic heating elements which distribute the heat evenly and condition the hair. Ionic technology is also a good feature to have as it releases minerals into the hair which protect them from heat.
- Size & Number of Rollers
If you are not decided on the type of hairstyle you want or how many rollers to buy, you can go for sets which contain assorted sizes which can be used for different occasions and hair types. This also saves money and gives you one hair product which styles all kinds of hair easily.
Hot hair rollers can generally cost anywhere between 30$ for the handy basic versions to 300$ for the advanced professional models. Keep in mind that your hair needs that extra conditioning or protecting element found in quality hair rollers. Do not go for really cheap models which can damage your hair. You can check online for some discounts on your favorite rollers.
Here are some general tips and tricks you should keep in mind when buying and using hot rollers to get natural looking hair with added bounce:
- Always open your curls with fingers as a comb can break the waves and curls.
- Using a heat protectant spray before using the rollers will protect your hair from heat damage. You can also use a mousse if you are going for big bouncy waves.
- Apply a gentle hold spray to the hair after you have removed the curlers to help the hairstyle hold its shape.
- If you want to use the rollers during traveling, keep them in a heat-resistant storage pouch and choose compact rollers which occupy lesser space.
- Do not let the rollers become too hot before using them as this can burn your hair and damage them permanently. Follow the instructions that come with the product carefully before using the hot rollers.
- Go for high-quality rollers despite the price as this is a onetime investment and cheap plastic rollers can melt and burn your hair.
- Hot rollers work well on second-day hair so do not shampoo your hair on the day you are planning to use hot rollers. Washing your hair a day prior can help you get the ideal results.
- Leaving your bangs uncurled can help you frame your face so curl the other portions of the hair and leave the bangs to get a more natural and delicate hairstyle.
- Backcombing the hair at the crown by using a shot of hairspray after curling can help you get some extra body and hair lift.
So these are some of the most popular hot rollers available in the market which are used by thousands of people for getting soft waves and curls at home. All these brands are famous for their hot rollers and make amazing products which are great in terms of quality and performance. They give you gorgeous hair without damaging them and are available for all types of hair and length. This hot rollers buyer guide will help you find the right rollers for curls and waves.
Have you used hot rollers for getting gorgeous salon-like hair at home? Which is your favorite brand in hot rollers?