Are you looking for a foundation that makes your mature skin look youthful and radiant?
Choosing a foundation for mature skin can be a bit tricky as most foundations tend to make the skin look patchy and dull at this age. The trick is to find a foundation which covers fine lines and wrinkles well and gives a smoother appearance to the skin.
We have compiled a list of ten best foundations for aging skin over 50. These foundations are designed to cover signs of aging and are great for mature skin:
Editor Pick Best foundation for aging skin
Table could not be displayed.
Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick
A bestseller from Bobbi Brown, this foundation stick works well for aging skin as it is smooth in terms of texture and glides easily on the skin. It is available in 17 shades and is quite convenient to use while traveling and for touch-ups. The creamy formula gives a medium to full coverage and has a great staying power. It has a lightweight finish and covers fine lines and wrinkles seamlessly. The shade selection suits all skin tones and the formula is good for all skin types including sensitive skin. The price of the stick is high as compared to its quantity but the finish and the texture make it worth the high price.PROS:
- The formula gives a decent coverage and hides signs of aging efficiently.
- The foundation stick is suitable for all skin types and has a wide shade range.
- The stick packaging is quite convenient to use and is great for touch-ups.
- The price of the foundation stick is very high as compared to other foundations.
- The foundation needs to be buffed properly into the skin for a flawless finish.
What we like about it:This foundation gives a great professional finish to the skin and makes the skin look radiant and youthful.
L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro Glow Foundation
If you are looking for a full-coverage foundation that is affordable as well, this foundation from L’Oreal Paris is a great option to consider. It comes in a tube packaging and is available in 12 shade options to choose from. The formula gives a dewy finish to the skin and stays for up to 24 hours if set properly. The airy texture is easy to use and does not breakout the skin or feel heavy. This foundation is suitable for dry to normal skin and comes with SPF 15 for added sun protection. The price of the foundation is reasonable and the quantity will last for 3-4 months depending on the usage.PROS:
- The foundation comes with additional sun protection of SPF 15.
- It has a lightweight texture and suits dry skin as it is hydrating in nature.
- The staying power is good with up to 24 hours of wear under optimum conditions.
- This foundation is not suitable for oily skin and can clog the pores.
- The formula sinks into fine lines if not set properly.
What we like about it:This foundation gives a dewy finish to the skin and comes at a reasonable price. SPF 15 in the formula eliminates the need of a separate sunscreen.
Mary Kay Time Wise Luminous-Wear Liquid Foundation
Infused with collagen and vitamin E, this foundation is formulated specifically to counter the signs of aging and give a matte finish to the skin by absorbing the excess oil. It covers age spots easily and gives a matte and polished look to the skin. The foundation comes in a tube packaging and is available in multiple shades to suit different skin tones. It is suitable for oily skin and has a staying power of around 8-10 hours with light to medium coverage. The quantity is good and one tube will last for 4-5 months as very little quantity is required for each use. The price of this foundation is high.PROS:
- The formula is designed keeping mature skin in mind and covers minor wrinkles easily.
- It gives a matte finish and absorbs excess oil to make the skin look fresh and radiant.
- The foundation contains collagen that helps in cell renewal and slows down the aging process.
- The foundation can make the skin look dry and patchy if not worn over a moisturizer.
- The texture is a bit thick and needs to be blended into the skin fast to avoid patches.
What we like about it:The matte finish offered by this foundation is natural and does not feel heavy on the skin. The staying power is good and the quantity lasts for a long time.
COVERGIRL & Olay Simply Ageless Instant Wrinkle Defying Foundation
A moisturiser and foundation in one, the covergirl+Olay foundation gives you all the benefits of a moisturiser with coverage of a foundation. It comes in a glass pot and is available in 11 shades. The formula also contains a primer which covers wrinkles and hides all minor signs of aging. Additional SPF makes it a multipurpose product so you do not need to wear any sunscreen under the foundation. The texture blends into the skin easily and suits all skin types even beyond the age of 50. The staying power of this foundation is ok as it stays for 6-7 hours if worn without a primer. The price of the foundation is quite affordable and you can even get it at a discount online.PROS:
- It contains a primer and moisturiser also which hydrate the skin and give a natural finish to the foundation.
- The texture is very smooth and blends into the skin very easily with a brush.
- The price of the foundation is affordable and it is travel-friendly as well.
- The foundation can dry in the pan if kept open for long.
- It can look caked up if more product is used than required.
What we like about it:This is a multipurpose product that gives the benefits of a foundation, primer, and moisturiser in one and hides fine lines without looking patchy. The price is also quite affordable.
Almay Smart Shade Anti-Aging Skintone Matching Makeup
Made with skintone matching technology, this foundation from Almay is available in six shades and provides anti-aging benefits. It comes with SPF 20 and is white in colour but transforms to the shade of the skin upon application as it contains shade- mimicking beads. The formula is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin as it has a hypoallergenic formula. It gives a natural and light coverage with a streak-free finish. The tube packaging is easy to use and the staying power of the foundation is about 10-11 hours with minor touch-ups. The price is moderate.PROS:
- he foundation is made using shade-matching technology that adapts to the natural tone of the skin.
- It gives a natural light coverage that makes the skin look smoother and youthful.
- The foundation comes with SPF 20 that provides sun protection.
- The price of the foundation is a bit high.
- The white formula may not match to everyone’s specific skin shade and undertone.
What we like about it: This foundation adapts to the skin tone of the user as it contains beads that get activated with pressure and release colour. The natural and lightweight coverage makes it a great foundation for day wear.
L’Oréal Paris Makeup Visible Lift Serum Absolute Foundation
One of the very few foundations that offer skincare benefits as well, this foundation is infused with serum that reduces fine lines and age spots to give a younger appearance to the skin. The foundation is available in 12 shades and can be bought in a pack of two also. Regular use helps to give a visible lift to the skin and enhance radiance. The foundation comes in a glass bottle with a pump and the quantity is good. It gives a dewy finish to the skin and has a staying power of about 8-9 hours if worn without a primer. The price of the foundation is a bit higher than other variants but you can go for a pack of two to save some money.PROS:
- It contains a serum that imparts a radiance to the skin and works on reducing the signs of aging.
- Regular use helps to minimise wrinkles and close large pores.
- The formula feels very lightweight on the skin and is suitable for dry skin and sensitive skin as well.
- The price of the foundation is a bit on the higher side.
- The glass bottle is prone to breakage while traveling.
What we like about it:This foundation gives a visible lift to the skin by reducing wrinkles, dullness and uneven skin with its serum-infused formula. The medium coverage and hydrating texture are some of the other advantages of this foundation.
Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Aging Perfector
More of a tinted moisturiser than a foundation, this skin treatment from Neutrogena gives medium coverage like a foundation with the skin benefits of retinol and sun protection. The compact tube packaging is travel-friendly. The formula evens out the skin tone and gives a dewy finish to the skin. The staying power is not that great but it covers fine lines and wrinkles easily and reduces the process of aging with the help of retinol. The texture is smooth and glides easily on the skin. The price of the foundation is high as the quantity is very less.PROS:
- Retinol helps to smoothen the fine lines and reduces age spots if used regularly.
- The dewy medium coverage formula looks natural on all skin tones and adapts to the natural undertone of the skin.
- SPF 20 provides broad-spectrum sun protection and protects the skin from further damage.
- The quantity of the foundation is lesser than other variants and the price is high.
- The staying power is not very good as it stays for only 7-8 hours.
What we like about it:Retinol helps to counter signs of aging effectively and the foundation gives a very lightweight feel to the skin without looking cakey or uneven.
Boots No7 Lift & Luminate Foundation
Another foundation using retinol to give a lift to the skin, Boots No.7 lift and illuminate foundation uses polymers to give a visible lift to the skin and give it a firmer appearance. It also contains vitamin C & E which minimize dullness and uneven skin. The foundation gives a bright and dewy finish to the skin and conceals pigmentation easily. The coverage is light to medium and the staying power is good as the foundation stays in place for 10-11 hours. The glass packaging makes it a little bulky but the quantity is good. The price of the product is a bit high.PROS:
- It contains polymers, antioxidants, and retinol which repair and smoothen the skin.
- The skin appears less saggy and uneven because of the lift that the formula provides.
- The texture conceals minor skin imperfections and signs of aging without the need of a primer.
- The formula is not very useful for oily skin as it can make the skin appear greasier.
- The packaging is bulky and the price of the foundation is high.
What we like about it:The use of polymers makes this foundation look very smooth and natural on the skin. Retinol helps to fight signs of aging and antioxidants repair the skin.
Josie Maran Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation
Infused with argan oil, the Josie Maran matchmaker foundation contains self-adjusting pigments that match to the actual skin tone and make the skin look even and radiant. The foundation is available is two shades and comes in a pump bottle for convenience. The texture of the foundation is like a serum and is is quite thin as compared to other foundations. It blends into the skin easily and has a staying power of about 10-11 hours. The formula is free of parabens and other harmful chemicals that can clog the pores and damage the skin. The price of the foundation is very high but the formula works very well for aging skin so it is worth it.PROS:
- Argan oil helps to hydrate the skin and maintain its youthful appearance.
- The foundation has a very smooth and blendable texture that looks natural on the skin.
- The staying power of the foundation is good and it suits all skin types including sensitive skin.
- The shade options available in this foundation are quite limited.
- The price of the foundation is higher than most other variants.
What we like about it:The argan oil-infused formula glides smoothly on the skin and helps in fighting early signs of aging. The foundation has serum in it which hydrates the skin and gives a radiant dewy finish.
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup
With more than 15 hours staying power, the Estee Lauder double wear foundation is great for special occasions as it is a full coverage foundation with multiple shades available to suit different skin tones. It works well for oily skin types as it keeps the excess oil under control. The foundation looks fresh for 10-12 hours and does not feel heavy on the skin. The glass packaging is a bit bulky but the pump is easy to use and dispenses just the right amount of product. The price of the foundation is a high but you can get it at a discount online.PROS:
- It gives full coverage and conceals all signs of aging easily.
- The staying power is good and it does not fade with sweat or look patchy.
- It is good for sensitive and oily skin and does not cause breakouts.
- The price of the foundation is high as compared to its quantity.
- It is not suitable for very dry skin.
What we like about it:The coverage of this foundation is great and it keeps excess oil at bay. It conceals all wrinkles and age spots without looking cakey on the skin.
Mature skin above the age of 50 needs special attention when it comes to choosing a foundation as not all formulas suit such skin types. Sagging, dullness, and wrinkles are the most common issues that need to be taken care of and these foundations listed above conceal all signs of aging efficiently. There are some important factors that need to be considered while buying a foundation for aging skin over 50 and some of these factors include:
Choose a foundation that is lightweight on the skin and does not contain parabens and other chemicals that can clog the pores. Go for argan oil-infused or serum foundations that look better on the skin and do not dry the skin out.
- Skin age and concerns:
Go for a hydrating formula if you have a dry skin and a matte formula if you have an oily skin. Aging skin needs a bit more hydration so a foundation that contains a serum or oil is better.
You can get a good foundation for aging skin over 50 in around 15$ to 40$ depending on the brand and the coverage of the foundation. Look for discounts online that can help you save some money on your favourite foundation.
So these are the ten best foundations for aging skin over 50 years of age. These foundations give a lift to the sagging skin and conceal fine lines and wrinkles with their medium to full coverage formula. Some of these foundations also contain ingredients that delay the signs of aging and repair the skin with regular use. Use this buyer guide to find the right type of foundation for your skin type which makes your skin look youthful and radiant.
Which is your favourite foundation for mature skin?