A Camping Tent is one of the most important elements of equipment for tourists, fishermen and just outdoor enthusiasts. This review presents the best models of temporary housing of all shapes and sizes.
Hiking and family camping are the best remedy for stress. What tent to choose for a friendly company of 6 people, and which model will not freeze in the mountains? What to look for when choosing a tent and how to read the product labeling? Form, weight, material – all this matters and affects not only the cost, but also the convenience during operation and the duration of use.
The wrong choice of a tent is discomfort, a cold and rheumatism, irritation during installation and an excessive expenditure of physical strength on a camping trip. Faced with this away from civilization is a difficult and unnecessary test. Having spent a little time studying the issue, you can quickly choose a tent in full accordance with your needs and preferences.
Now let’s look at the best models on the market.
The 10 Best Family Tents For Camping Consumer Report 2022
1. Coleman Sundome Dome Tent
The Sundome 6 sleeps 6 happy campers and includes a large door for easy entry/exit with a hooded fly to provide ventilation even in rain. A large rear hooded window also provides airflow for cross ventilation. Mesh vents on the roof provide additional ventilation and the rugged 1000D polyethylene floor is a bathtub style (wraps up the sides) for extreme weather protection and has welded seams, even in the corners, to guard against a leaky floor. The coated polyester fabrics on the fly and walls are rugged and durable. Like all Coleman Sundome tents it is easy to set up or take down and features an Electrical Access Port, a ground vent and an interior mesh storage pocket.Freestanding design is easy to set up and take down.2 windows and roof vents for maximum ventilation and comfort.Mesh roof aids in ventilation and reduces condensation.Shockcorded fiberglass frame for easy set up.Polyester fly is tough and durable and won’t stretch when wet.1 zippered Electrical Access Port to run AC power into the tent.1 vented Cool Air Port for increased ventilation and comfort.1 interior storage pocket.Easy convenient clip and continuous pole sleeve construction.Pin and ring pole to body connection is fast and simple.External guy points to keep the tent stable in storms and high winds.Instructions sewn to carry bag so they are easy to find and hard to lose.All carry sacks and stakes included.
- In this Sundome, the MeatherTec System patented welded floors along with the inverted seams work to keep the interior dry.
- Its spacious dome design streamlines the process of setup; within 10 minutes, you can easily set up this dome tent.
- There is the presence of rain fly sunshade for rain and shade protection.
2. Coleman Montana 8 Person Tent
The Montana tent from Coleman sleeps 8 campers and includes 1 large ‘D’ style door for easy entry/exit with a hooded fly to provide ventilation even in rain. A large hooded awning over the front door provides airflow for cross ventilation as well as nice place to lounge out of sun or rain.
To accommodate queen size air beds, the Coleman Montana 6-person tent comes with a spacious interior. Many campers are fed up with the complex set up process but this camping tent can be easily set up in 15 minutes. You will definitely admire the comfortable arrangement to lounge inside during your travel trips or adventure.
- There is sufficient space inside for the 2 WeatherTec system with original corner welds and inverted ridges. Therefore, water would not enter inside.
- The expanded door canopy works to keep your accessories and shoes dry.
- On the surface, you will see a spacious ‘D’ style door to facilitate easy entrance and exit.
3. CORE Dome Tent
The CORE 6 Person Dome Tent 11′ x 9′ features Core H20 Block Technology- water repellent fabrics with active bead technology for faster water runoff paired with sealed seams and rain-resistant door/window seals. The fully-taped rain fly is removable in warmer weather to expose panoramic mesh windows and ceiling. You will find the ease of access with the use of gear loft equipped with lamp hook and organizer pockets. Total six persons can easily sit or sleep inside this dome tent and it would conveniently fit two queen air mattresses.
- Variable air intake vent attracts cool air inside from the ground.
- The use of water-repellent fabrics assures complete protection against water and rain.
- The inside hot air will be easily escaped out with the help of mesh ceiling.
- There is the facility of electrical port access to power all of your devices.
4. ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent
Easy assembly and sturdy structure are the key specialties of this Lynx 4-person tent. To protect you from wet weather, this camping tent is prepared constructed with factory sealed fly and floor ridges. Its fly is held into a fixed place with the help of weatherproof buckles for adjustability. In this tent, the free-standing two-pole design is accompanied by fiberglass poles to enhance stability.
- The structure of this Lynx tent features polyester tent fly to resist UV rays and water. Furthermore, there is the presence of two vestibules for additional storage space.
- This tent is equipped with eight zippers, mesh storage pockets, poly taffeta floor, stakes, gear loft, and guy ropes.
- To enhance access and ventilation, there is the availability of a mesh roof
5. Coleman 8-Person Tent
Every camping expedition must begin and end with the assurance and satisfaction of warmth and security. This Coleman tent is the perfect tent for family camping in spring, summer, or fall. With its 10’x 17’ footprint, it’s plenty big for large families. It will comfortably sleep eight people with room to spare for duffel bags or backpacks. It has a 72” peak height which provides adequate headroom for most people. The modified dome shape makes the tent more aerodynamic and allows it to remain stable even during windy weather conditions. The Coleman Red Canyon Tent has a waterproof floor and water-resistant fabric walls. The tent also comes equipped with a 100% waterproof rain fly to ensure your tent stays dry.
This Coleman tent is the perfect answer for weekend camping trips for large or small sized families.
- Family camping tent can accommodate eight campers; measures 17 by 10 feet with a 72-inch center height
- Included room dividers allow you to create three separate rooms
- Coleman’s exclusive Weathertec System is guaranteed to keep you dry from unexpected wet weather on your camping trip
- Tent setup is easy with its shock-corded poles and easy-to-follow assembly instructions
- Cool-Air port and Variflo adjustable venting system allows you to adjust airflow and access gear
Take a tent marked 1+ when you want to go on an easy and short hike. For example, if it rains at night, then you can fit your backpack there, and when it is sunny, you will get more free space inside.
6. CORE 6 Person Instant Cabin Tent
This six person instant cabin tent features stress-free setup in 60 seconds! The poles are pre-attached to the tent- just unpack, unfold, and extend. Core H20 Block Technology combines water repellent fabrics with active bead technology for faster water runoff paired with sealed seams and rain-resistant door/window seals. Additionally, the fully-taped rain fly is removable in warmer weather to expose mesh windows and ceiling. The advanced venting system uses the adjustable air intake vent designed to draw in cool air from the ground while the mesh ceiling allows hot air to escape keeping you comfortable all season. The CORE 6 Person Instant Cabin Tent 11′ x 9′ also features zippered privacy panels on doors and windows and keeps your gear organized with the included gear loft with lantern hook and large wall organizer pocket.
- Adjustable air intake vents draw in cool air from the ground.
- A mesh ceiling allows hot air to escape.
- Sealed seams and fully taped rainfly
7. Coleman 6-Person Cabin Tent with Instant Setup
The Coleman Instant Cabin makes getting camp set up quicker and easier than ever. This instant tent has pre-attached poles that make setting up camp as simple as unfolding, extending, and securing. You can assemble the tent in about a minute and then get started on your adventure. This camping tent is designed with the WeatherTec system that features patented welded floors and inverted seams to help ensure you stay dry if it starts to rain. An integrated vented rainfly offers added protection from the rain and improves airflow without the need for extra assembly. This backpacking tent is made from rugged Polyguard 2X double-thick fabric that stands up to the rigors of the outdoors, so you can use it reliably season after season. This 6-person tent offers enough room for two queen size air beds and comes with integrated storage pockets to help you keep small items organized. And when it’s time to go home, the camping tent packs away securely in the included expandable carry bag that lets you tear away the rip strip for easy packing.
- Instant Tent 6 Dimensions: 10 ft x 9 ft (fits two queen size air mattresses)
- The Coleman Instant tent is very easy to set-up and truly only takes about a minute
- One large door makes moving in and out of the tent comfortable.
Best Two Person Tents
1. Ubon 2-3 Person Pop up Tent Instant Tent Lightweight Backpacking Tent Camping
Made from durable polyester coated with PU, Ubon is a lightweight backpacking tent whose quality is top-notch. Its durable construction coupled with the fact that it’s weather-proof make it quite reliable. The dimensions of this backpacking tent make it quite portable while its 2 glass-fiber poles make it quite durable, strong and sturdy.
Of course, the mesh vents also provide immunity against mosquitoes and other insects. In addition, it’s a lightweight and easy to setup backpacking tent which means that you never have to worry about how to set it up single-handedly.
- Easy entry front door with two-way zippered mesh window, Large mesh side wall vents at top provide excellent ventilation and star gazing, and keep mosquitos and bugs out
2. ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 2-Person Tent
The ALPS Mountaineering Tent 2 Person Hiking Camping Tent keeps you and 2 buddies nice and dry. Enjoy a lightweight tent that you can set up fast. Great for 3 seasons: spring, summer, and fall. It’s mesh wall panels make for great ventilation in the heat while the tent is made of waterproof materials so the rainy season doesn’t get to you. ALPS Mountaineering tents are engineered for camping in a rugged, outdoor world. These tents are constructed of durable materials and are designed to set up fast and last a lifetime. The use of water-repellent fabrics assures complete protection against water and rain.
- Mesh roof, two entryways and a zippered window on each door offers easy access and great ventilation
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, mesh storage pockets, gear loft, aluminum stakes and guy ropes
3. ALPS Mountaineering 2-Person Tent
The easy and unique one door entry design provides adequate safety while its vestibule provides extra storage. With half mesh walls, ventilation inside this tent is simply unmatched giving unparalleled comfort for the user. Its sealing makes it weatherproof making it convenient even in ill weather conditions. What’s more, its dimensions make it quite convenient for camping and portable when moving from one place to another.
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding one vestibule for extra storage space
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, storage pockets, gear loft, stakes, guy ropes and one doorway
- The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent is on our best sellers list; it’s a must-have for your next adventure
- Base Size: 2’8 x 7’6, Center Height: 36″, Total Weight: 4 lbs. 4 oz., Minimum Weight: 3 lbs. 8 oz.
The most popular forms of camping tents
Choosing a tent, you need to consider the purpose of the model, its shape and capacity, as well as at least a little understanding of the materials from which it can be made.
The most popular are camping tent forms:
- Hemisphere – a universal design that is suitable for all types of outdoor activities.
- Half-barrel – characterized by good capacity, but relatively low stability.
- Tent – spacious and light tents, the design of which consists of racks and awning.
- House – compact models with a gable roof, the main disadvantage of which is considered difficult installation.
When choosing a tent should take into account the seasonality of the model. Summer, three-season and all-season constructions are widely represented on sale.
Summer is suitable only for hiking in the warm season and in good weather. Three-season perfectly protect against wind and rain, but poorly tolerate snow loads and low temperatures. All-season designs are suitable for hiking at any time of the year, thanks to the presence of a snow-protective “skirt”.
When choosing a tent, you should pay attention to the material of the tent, and also look what the arcs and the bottom are made of.
Single-layer awnings are made of nylon or polyester. The first is mediocre moisture resistance and low cost. Polyester is more durable, water resistant, but also more expensive.
The bottom of the tent should be waterproof, have low thermal conductivity and withstand increased mechanical stress. For its manufacture in modern models of medium and premium price categories, metallized polyester or nylon impregnated with polyurethane are used. In budget models, the bottom is a plastic film.
Criteria for Choosing a Camping Tent
Capacity is a fairly important indicator when choosing a travel inventory. Tents have different capacities: from one person to a whole group. The largest tents with 12 seats. They are used for special expeditions. Although if you take the average students and place them in such a tent, then they will accommodate at least 18 people. But you should not experiment. And, of course, the larger the capacity of the tent, the more it will weigh. Therefore, when choosing such an inventory, count on how many people should enter it for an overnight stay. If you are two, then do not take a tent for 4 places, because it will be more difficult to warm up in it. Most often, the capacity is calculated based on the width of the mats and rugs.
The number of vestibules also affects the size of each tent. Two doors will be convenient for camping. This means that the camp hut can be opened on both sides so that it is better ventilated. In 4-person tents, doors serve for convenience. For example, tourists can quickly get out or go to the near exit, so as not to disturb the neighbor. If you have a tent of less capacity, then the platform will only bring inconvenience, as well as give extra weight in a backpack.
When choosing a tent, pay particular attention to water resistance. For each individual trip, it is different. The higher the water resistance, the stronger the tent and the material itself. The higher the mountains, the more waterproof the tent should be taken.
Usually a good tent is light. There are ultralight, but they are much more expensive than usual. Single tents are used very rarely, therefore we will not consider them. People rarely go hiking alone, firstly, it’s boring, and secondly, more importantly, it’s dangerous. But there is a lightweight view of the tents. They are available without racks.
Inventory is divided into two-layer and single-layer. Single layer made of waterproof awning. Such inventory is easy to fold. But when the weather is wet and hot, then condensation builds up on the walls of the tent. The sleeping bag will be wet if ventilation slots are not made in such a tent. You can also buy tents with membrane awnings, though such a pleasure will fly into good money.
Tips for Buying and Using Tourist Tents
These secrets will save you money:
- Old models of well-known companies are not inferior in quality to new ones, and their price is much lower.
- Do not be afraid to buy tents of new brands, the main thing is to see that all the characteristics correspond to reality.
- Watch reviews, consult friends and acquaintances. If possible, borrow a tent from a friend for a while.
- The seams of the tent should be well glued.
- Assault tents improve wind resistance.
- For summer hiking, take inventory of light colors. It attracts less heat. In extreme trips, it is worth using bright tents, so that in case of emergency, lifeguards will find you.
- The entrance (exit) to the tent should be covered with a mosquito net.
- Pegs should be light with maximum strength. The larger the size of the tent, the greater its weight and less wind resistance.
What to look for when choosing a camping tent?
First of all, decide on the type of tent. Light trekking models are great for hiking. Spacious camping tents provide a high level of comfort. Conquerors of the mountains should take a closer look at the storm category.
When determining the optimal capacity, it is important to consider the length of stay in nature. If the trip lasts for several days, then part of the space will be occupied by things and a table. Therefore, it is better to take a tent that can accommodate more than tourists are supposed to.
An important selection criterion is seasonality. Summer models are made of the thinnest materials. Spring-autumn designs are made from more dense fabrics. Winter tents have maximum strength and high thermal insulation qualities.
Pay attention to a parameter such as water resistance. It is expressed in millimeters of water (mm of water. Art.). In summer, an awning with an indicator of 1500 mm of water will cope with short-term rain. Art., and for recreation from spring to late autumn, it is better to choose more waterproof models of tents (3000-4000 mm). It is also worth knowing if there is a sealed bottom in the tent.
Modern tents are equipped with many useful options. It is convenient to use internal pockets, a comfortable microclimate is provided by a ventilation system, and mosquito nets will help protect vacationers from annoying insects.
What are the types of camping tents?
Depending on the direction in tourism, equipment is different. In particular, tents are divided into the following types:
Fishing tents. These “houses” are distinguished by high protection of the fabric from natural manifestations near the water – strong winds, drafts, waves. A similar strength is in the frame – it cannot be broken, since progressive models are made of polymer and composite materials that combine granite strength and lightness of aluminum. For fans of ice biting, hemispherical models are proposed that even more protect the owners from the weather.
Options for camping. These are good tents for recreation, which are impressive in size to accommodate the tourist “infrastructure” – sleeping places, light furniture or even transport. The main advantage of tents of this type is increased comfort. Often, models taller than human height have several rooms. Mandatory visor that protects from direct sunlight and a large number of internal fixtures for placing utensils.
Trekking tents. The main advantage in them is lightness, since the models are intended only for overnight. If desired, the selected option folds and fits in a backpack, like sleeping bags for tourism, if climbing is supposed to be climbing. Successfully withstands heat and rainfall.
Extreme tents. Increased protective qualities – water resistance, fire resistance, tightness, wind protection – allow you to use the shelter in advance known critical situations.
What camping tent is better to buy?
Choosing a tent, you need to consider the purpose of the model, its shape and capacity, as well as at least a little understanding of the materials from which it can be made.
Let our rating help you in choosing. Happy shopping and comfortable travel!
Well, our rating of the best camping tents of 2022 has come to an end. We hope that in it there were models that were to your taste.